The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Director of Natural Product Processing opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Science, Engineering or another related field
- 5 to 10 years of leadership experience in manufacturing
- Knowledge of cGMP manufacturing requirements related to commercial manufacturing; familiarity with clinical production is a plus
- Proven strong leadership skills and experience leading manager-level staff and above
- Experience in startup environments or in significant manufacturing expansions
- Demonstrated skills in:
- Strategic and tactical planning
- Process improvement
- Managing supplier relationships, including negotiating quality and price
- Organizing and operating equipment, preferably including filing, labeling and packaging
- Preparing contingency plans and future strategies proactively
- Strong project management skills and the ability to take programs from concept to execution, managing all stages
- A current valid driver's license and your own vehicle to commute to and from work
- A passion for learning, an entrepreneurial spirit and a drive to win
- The ability to:
- Expand quickly into larger responsibilities as the company grows rapidly
- Work effectively and meet deadlines in a demanding, dynamic environment
- Strong organizational skills and superb attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
The RoleReporting to the CEO, you will provide leadership to a team made up of scientists, chemical engineers and production associates at different levels of seniority. You will work with this team to ensure we have the right structure in place. You'll also lay the foundation for expanding the manufacturing organization more than tenfold.
You will be responsible for ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's quality and manufacturing team. Key objectives will include:
- Contributing to the long- and short-term planning and strategy in collaboration with the management team.
- Interacting with the corporate team to manage, measure, and assess goals and effectiveness in accordance with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), Quality System Regulations and company policies and expectations.
- Managing the P&L for manufacturing.
More specifically, you will:
- Assume responsibility for providing team leadership to a customer-focused team committed to increasing and improving quality and productivity
- Assist with process development and production
- Operate and assist with the operation of various production equipment
- Build and grow the manufacturing organization in response to project load
- Hire and train key manufacturing personnel for unit manufacturing and aseptic filling operations
- Initiate continuous process improvements
- Write protocols, scientific reports, and other technical documents
- Participate in the interpretation of data and collaboration with other departments
- Perform hands-on work with equipment, complete production records and pay attention to details
- Handle other assigned duties, tasks, and responsibilities
What's in It for YouStrategic and tactical impact
As you can see, you will move the needle in a number of areas, from process improvements to influencing company direction. You'll also keep your hands-on skills sharp, at least until we grow, as you work on production equipment.
Culture of innovation
Kurvana is essentially a tech startup, with constant evolution and a pioneering spirit. We are always improving, refining our processes and bringing in new equipment. If you're the person we're looking for, you are eager to come in and channel this culture to achieve great things.
Track record of success
Even with a small team, we have grown exponentially, establishing a worldwide reputation for the finest quality (see the next point). We have the recipe for success, including the talent, processes, strong relationships with suppliers and more. You'll leverage the recipe to prepare for growth. Once adult use is legalized on January 2, we expect business to double in a month.
Passion for quality
Once harvested, our premium cannabis passes through strict quality control measures and multiple inspections to yield a 100% natural product, always clean and free of toxins, microbes, pesticides, butane, and glycerin. This 50-step process includes constant, comprehensive testing that results in a truly connoisseur-grade product with no solvents or additives. We take pride in having one of the world's most advanced teams of scientists in the field of cannabis therapeutics and they work to continually drive innovation across our premium product lines.
With old myths and stereotypes of cannabis use being shattered, there is a new focus on its health benefits and on the new technological standards for quality production of cannabis products. At Kurvana we believe in the unlimited potential of cannabis and hemp, and are deeply committed to its future. For example, in May 2017 we sponsored the Cannabis Conference on Medicine, Government, and Society at UC Irvine. During the conference, UCI announced their vision for a cannabis research institute on campus that will investigate the role of cannabis in science, policy, and law.
Keys to SuccessWhile it would be great if you have a background in our industry, it's not necessary. What is essential, however, is a passion for the industry and for Kurvana's vision. You will join a team of high achievers who are all extremely driven to be the best at what they do; quality and winning are paramount. This position is not for everyone. You will be pushed, and without this passion, you will find goals and objectives too difficult.
The position will be like jumping on a treadmill that going full speed. You'll need to be flexible, and you can't have a big ego. In addition to getting the 30,000-foot view, you'll need to be willing to roll up your sleeves and work alongside your team. If you're coming from a large corporate environment, you may need to adjust to our entrepreneurial environment. Managing a dozen employees is not the same as overseeing an organization of hundreds.
While you don't need to be an expert in all the science and technology behind our products, you should become knowledgeable enough to hire and manage experts as necessary. In fact, you should embrace our commitment to staying ahead of the curve in a dynamic and evolving industry. In addition to taking a proactive approach to getting past the initial learning curve, you should be dedicated to learning and innovating on an ongoing basis.
You'll also need to be resourceful in solving problems, combining creativity and an analytical approach. For example, if growers introduce a new pesticide, you will need to brainstorm with your team and do the necessary research to develop and test a response. We have high expectations, but as long as you accomplish your goals regularly, we'll provide you the resources and the elbow room you need to succeed.